When it comes to summer road trips, sometimes the journey matters more than the destination.
It’s what we treasure – days spent on the open road with the windows down, singing along with songs we know by heart. Driving along the sunny (sometimes) Newfoundland coast with our family and friends. And with plenty of stops for snacks, rest, and selfies along the way.
Road trips are special. That’s why we’ve prepared a few checklists that will help ensure your adventure on the open road doesn’t encounter any speedbumps.
While it might be tempting to skip this checklist and just assume everything is all right, try to take your time and complete a thorough safety check of your vehicle before you head out on long drive.
- Make sure your tire pressure matches what is recommended for your vehicle (check the sticker inside the driver’s door frame if you’re not sure).
- Examine all aspects of your tires (including lug nuts & rims) to ensure they’re road ready.
- Make sure your headlights and turn signals are in working order.
- Top off your oil, windshield wiper fluid, brake fluid and coolant.
- Check the condition of your brake pads and rotors.
- If you’ve recently noticed any service indicators, like needing an oil change, now’s a good time to book an appointment.
Now it’s time to prepare a few items that will ensure you’re ready for any unexpected – and unfortunate – surprises. Here’s our list of recommended essentials that will come in handy in any situation and can be easily stored in your trunk.
- Jumper cables
- Work gloves
- Spare tire
- Drinking water
- Non-perishable snacks
- Tow rope
- Roadside flare
- Flashlight and batteries
- Car fluids like windshield washer fluid
- Emergency first aid kit, including: seatbelt cutter, bandages, safety pins, hand sanitizer, disposable sterile gloves, tweezers, scissors, alcohol-free cleansing wipes
Now for the best part, the things that makes road trips so much fun. Don’t forget your:
- Cell phone holder
- Chargers and batteries
- An amazing playlist
We hope these checklists reduce any vacation planning stress and help you stay focused on the road – and on making lasting memories.
Happy summer from your friends at Steers Insurance.